A noble initiative by Lifeinvitro team – LifeIn Interview – Experts in reproductive medicine/science answer the day to day problems in infertility and assisted conception for a better management of infertile couples.
This month’s interview is with Prof. Kathryn C. Worrilow (Ph.D).
Questions have been asked:
1. Provide an overview of Cleanroom classifications.
2. How is filtered and pressurized air generated for an IVF laboratory?
3. Is a HEPA filter sufficient for cleanliness or is a VOC filter necessary also?
4. How can VOCs affect the embryo development?
5. Do all labs have a dedicated HVAC system? Some labs even keep air conditioners inside the IVF laboratory!! Is it true that a window AC unit pushes contaminated outdoor air into the lab as cold air?
6. Give an overview of the different classes of Laminar Air Flow (LAF) hoods. LAF hoods are the main work area in most IVF labs. However, it has been noted that some people keep the airflow off always. Is it right approach?
7. What are the pros and cons of using UV light irradiation in the lab? Some of the labs’ air handling unit outside the lab has a HEPA filter and UV light. Is there a particular “smell” in the lab if the UV light is kept on? Does UV light cause any toxic reactions in the air?
8. Nowadays different levels of air purifiers are available for labs. Stand alone systems (with VOC filter) to be kept inside the lab, inline filters for gas lines, VOC filter unit for incubators? Which are the ideal options?
9. How to measure air contaminants in the beginning of establishment of unit and later on regular intervals?
10. What is the best way to control air contaminants in the IVF lab area?
11. How to control microbial contaminants in the lab area? And how to monitor them? This is a major issue in tropical climates.
12. Can fungal growth happen in the HEPA units of HVAC system or LAF?
13. On what intervals should one change the filters?
14. Advice to lab personnel!!
Hope the professionals would be befitted. This is not a place for any kind of advertisements.
Medical Information Disclaimer:
"This Interview has been done through online and the responses are completely based on interviewee's best current knowledge. Lifeinvitro is broadcasting all the content of the interview as it is. Lifeinvitro does not have any liability on the authenticity of the information. This is completely an expert's view. This information is intended as a professional education resource only and should not be used for self diagnosing or self treating a health problem as it is not a substitute for expert professional care.
If you find this interview contains erroneous/outdated information or if you have any suggestion, please write to us at email@example.com stating in subject line ‘Letter: Lifein Interview’.”